Monday, August 30, 2010

Memories of Dalton

Mark in middle, maybe 1989

Dalton was a musical hero and inspiration to me, as well a kind and truthful man. I will never forget the twinkle in his eyes when I shared this with him.

Mark Roseberry, Lawrence

In the late '60s

You know how much I adored him, all my life. Someone once asked me, "Did your brother ever fall from hero status once you grew up?" I said, "Never". And that's still true today.

Brenda, New Mexico


Carroll and Daughter, 1976

In the end, it wasn't really Dalton's art that drew a packed crowd to his Liberty Hall memorial service (adorned in part by his whimsical and beautiful murals) last Sunday. It was his character. Dalton radiated love for his family first and affirmed that value for the rest of us. He was a loyal and generous friend. He could be counted on, whether in the esoteric world of painting on canvas or the mundane world of painting a house. And he was so, so funny. When your own life broke down, he took the time to reassure with a twinkle in his eye, a funny comment and a look that said, "Buck up, little Buckaroo."
Carroll Hoke, Wichita

See Carroll's entire posting at the University Daily Kansas by clicking here:
http://www.kansan.com/news/2010/aug/30/letter-spencer-exhibit-recommended/


For 30 years I admired Dalton as an artist, danced to his beat and will miss him sorely every time I enter Spencer. He was a warm and kind man whose smile and greeting made the day better for many. My deepest sympathies on your loss.

Sharyn Brooks Katzman, New York



Dalton Howard had a Zen appreciation for the humanity that unites us. It showed in his music. It showed in his life….Dalton was indeed an Everyman in a million.

Steve Wilson, Topeka


Josh, Dalton, Wilma and Don

Dalton's greatest masterpiece was the man himself.
Josh

....Sentiments found on the online memorial, webpages and emails, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment